Stranger from the song


One lady told me this story:


“It was the time when I divorced and left my husband and had no idea how I would raise my two children on my own. With the little bit of money I saved I decided to buy a small house outside of the city, hoping may be things will be good one day.




And everything was good except I had to travel every day almost two hours on the bus.

The people who lived in the same neighborhood were nice to me. They helped me with food, babysitting and entertaining.

One evening I was invited to a birthday party.

At the party we were eating a lot, drinking vodka singing different songs.

A song I remembered the most was the song about a wealthy man Ivan who fall in love with a young beautiful woman Luidmila.

Luidmila’s family was not very poor, but not as wealthy as Ivan’s and her parents were against any relationship between them. After sometime of seeing each other secretly Ivan and Luidmila decided to run away.

They agreed to meet at the next night near the river, but for some reason Luidmila changed her mind. She did not go to the river. May be she was scared of her parents or maybe she did not love Ivan to be able to run away.

After that night Ivan went missing and no one have seen him again ever since. His parents went to some gypsy who looked at his picture and told that the picture is warm and Ivan is still alive.

More than one hundred years has passed from that time.

When I was listening to this song I started to cry. I felt sorry for myself. I was thinking about my life, my children. The song was very sad and it brought my own feelings to be deeper.

The ladies started to calm me saying that it’s just a song. Than an old woman told us that the song was made from a real story. She knew Ivan’s sister, already very old lady at that time and heard the story from her.

For some reason I was thinking about Ivan. I even found his picture in the local museum. I thought if we would meet I probably liked him.

One evening I was walking home from the bus stop. It was very cloudy, and somewhere not was started to thunderstorm. The sky was beautiful, blue, purple, red and black.

I was looking on the sky hoping I would be home in time.

Someone from behind called me. I turned back and saw that man, Ivan, right near me. His face was white, but still gorgeous.

For some reason, I dropped my bags on the ground and I said:”I love you”.

Ivan smiled and touched my hand. I was ready to run. Then he disappeared.

When I opened my hand, there was an old cross and an old ring attached to it. After that I have never seen Ivan again. I sold the ring, it was a lot of money and I moved to the city and opened my own company.