Old woman from the past - a story

I was a dark night. And the dark forest. And me, standing in front of it with a bag full with Russian souvenirs, craft jewelry my childhood picture and picture of my old house in one of Russian villages.

The trees were like a wall, a mountain, little bit grey, little bit black, little bit white. It was cold too, but I took off my jacket and my heat. I have to be recognizable.

I knew I have to go, walk in the forest and I would find the woman who changed my life many years ago. Changed the way not too many people would ever imagine or believe.

"Hello!" - I heard the voice I would recognize everywhere.


I was so happy.

"Do you remember me? You lived across our house in the village"

"I know who you are. Of course I recognize you".

"Please, help me. I thought if you only knew, you would help me. Just an advise".

"It was twenty eight years ago I saw you the last time. Oh, how big you are! Smile!"...

She was standing near me, dresses the same I always remember in grey worn forever sweater and long brown skirt. The old woman, babyshka Sania, from my childhood.

I started to talk non stop about living far a way from my family, about raising my child alone, about not being able to visit Russia, about everything I felt at that moment.

"I don't know which way to go" - I said at the end.

Babyshka Sania smiled: "You know exactly which way to go. Look at the back".

I looked back and I saw the light of the gas station where I left my car on the parking place.

"This way you have to go", - Sania said.

I smiled to, shocked how happy and clear  I was at that second.