My grandmother's memories about the Second World war.

The war changed everything. Women and children replaced men.

We had harvest in August and September 1941, two months before the war had started and women were everywhere. Even driving trucks for pickups were women. In my school, post office, the farm, almost everywhere. Only men who couldn't be replaced and old men, they stayed. And young boys, teenagers who were too young to join the army. Every day when I looked or we looked at each other, we knew there is war.

My aunt left to work on a factory that was making tanks. Once a month me and my cgrandmother were bringing her food. The factory was in a city, far. We had to walk for about an hour and catch a truck going to the city.

It was winter, February, cold. Me, and my grandmother were walking to the stop and when we got there in an hour, there were no truck. My heart felt like dropped, and surely, my grandmother's  too.

We waited for another hour, alone, on the field of snow. And there were no trucks.

“We have to go to another stop" – my grandmother said wearing her bag back on her back.

We started to walk again. For one more hour. I don't remember, I was freezing. My face, my legs, my feet, everything. Soon I couldn't walk. I set at the snow and started to cry.

I looked around, white snow and clear blue sky. There were no trees or hills. Only big open space.

I felt I was dreaming. The sun was just shining through me.

Some one kicked my foot. I looked up, almost like in a dream.

“I cannot walk anymore “ – I looked at her.

She looked so high up. White like snow, with light blue eyes.

“I cannot walk anymore “ – I replied.

My grandmother looked at me, like she was very angry.

“What are you going to do? Freeze here?”

And some power lifted me up and put back on my feet.

We started to walk again. In two four hours I was hugging my aunt. She was so happy. We stayed with her at the room she was living with other women working at the factory. The room was packed, I had little space on the floor.

My aunt sat close to me, she smiled. Then she covered my head with a blanket leaving tiny space to breathe.

“This is your little house “ – she said smiling again.