My grandmother's memories about the Second World war.

At the end of simmer we stayed somewhere on the fields near forests preparing grass for winter. It was very warm and women were wearing open tops. Some women had scars on their shoulders. They were pulling metal pieces to dig up the soil and prepare it for the planting, on the farm and were they had own land. My mother had the same scars. She always worried about our cow more then she cared about herself. “Our feeder “ – she would say petting the cow.

Most of the horses were sent to the army, leaving only few for extreme situations. Where machines couldn't go, because all the empty lands were used, the women were pulling those digging pieces on themselves.

It was night, we were sleeping under the open sky. The stars were everywhere. I was just looking at the stars.

I felt like I was going far up to those stars, very fast through the dark space. Probably I was imagining. Cosmos and tiny white dots. I saw a person, how I would draw her on the paper. It was her, woman, half animal and half person. Like there was line dividing her on paper. Beautiful face on the right side and animal on the left. She was friendly, felt almost warm, good friend. She had nice, fancy clothes and beautiful face.

“The earth is shaking “ – my mother said.

“There's big fight somewhere. Big fight.“ – another woman replied.

“Where?" – I whispered.

“Sleep" – my mother said again.

And I was only listening their conversation.

“Where are these gills will look for the husbands?”

“The war will be over and men will come back home".

“Hopefully soon. Listen how the ground is shaking”.

In the morning I started to think a young soldier I would marry.

“He is mine!” – for some reason I screamed to the air.

“Mine!” – the echo answered.

“Mine, mine, mine!”

“Mine, mine, mine" – almost like the echo was laughing back.

I took a small stone and threw it in the air.

“He is mine" – I said again.