My great grand mother stories - part 1

My great grand mother was 16 years old when she got married to my great grand father (who was 17 years older).

Sasha (her name) was the oldest out of 6 sisters and 2 brothers. She was about 5 years old when she knew how to cook, clean the house, take care of the kids and the animals. Her family was very poor compare to my great grand father's and when she turned 16 she was told she has to get married. It was a tradition in most of the Soviet villages at that time - the oldest daughter had to merry first and 16 years was allowed time.

My great grand father Pavel was a good man, and soon Sasha had a son - Alexander or Sasha. Than they had a girl, my grand mother - Iraida or Ira.


Sasha's parents, two brothers and grandmother. The picture was taken in about 1920th.