Welcome to the dark side

Old house again.
I never felt comfortable around, only in the house.
Always warm living room, radio, clock, tv.
Julia looking at the huge mirror and smiling.
I think I am beautiful, - she says.
So you didn’t go to medical university?
They would pay for us..
I am looking at old magazines, like time goes back in years.
“It was 1939, we are from small village.
Dinner time, my mother cooking,
My father reading newspaper, all day working on the farm.
Always working, my mom is still young woman,
Looking ten years older.
That’s not your place, now my father is looking at me.
What you will see here.
Go to your aunt and finish school over there.
In the city you can get passport.
This how I went to live with my aunt.
I was able to work at day time and go night school.
Girl my age was in the shop line in front of me.
Very light skin, nicely styled hair, and clothes I’ve never seen in my life.
She was wearing black rich coat, small hat and white blouse with red flowers on the top.
Probably she noticed me staring and smiled.
Very beautiful! I smiled back.
Really! I made it all by myself.
My name is Julia.
Once in a while we would meet,
And one day Julia asked if I want to visit her house.
Her house was far from the city,
We had to walk for a while in the dark.
Aren’t you afraid to walk by yourself.