My grandmother Ira memories about Second World War - Part 1

I am writing this for my very beautiful and very loving Grandmother Iraida Pavlovna Mouravleva.

My grandmother Ira (the short form of her name) is 85 years old and she lives in Russia.

 She was a doctor for 55 years and now, for some time, my grandmother is writing memories
about her life. The young life in the small Soviet village, Second World War, post war time,
years in the Soviet Union and the life in our city now.

 My grandmother only speaks Russian and for her I translate her memoirs in English.

I love you Mama Ira!

The memoirs are written from my grandmother’s name.

I was 13 years old when the war started. My brother Sasha (Aleksandr) was 17.

 It was June 22, 1941.  

The day was very sunny, me and my girlfriends went to the river in the morning, we were laughing, talking and making some small plans about what we will do after graduating from the school. I think we all wanted to be teachers and doctors.

On June 18th was my birthday, and it was school summer holidays, we did have to work in our collective farm, because we were too young and the summer was all ours to enjoy.

We stayed on the river for almost entire day and closer to the evening we went home. My parents and brother (who was on summer holidays too) worked in the collective farm almost until the night and I had time to prepare the dinner.

On the way home I noticed my father talking to the neighbor, an old man.  When I walked by them, my father looked at me and told quietly: “Ira, the wars started” and continue to talk the old man.
 I did not really understand what my father meant.  

I went home, washed dishes, pilled potatoes and cleaned up the room.

 Then I noticed from the window that people were running from house to house and some women on the street were crying.

Our neighbor’s son, a twenty years old man, walked out of the house with a bag and his mother was trying to stop him. She was crying too: "No, no, no, my son, no! I don’t let you go". And she would not stop trying to hug her son.

Very soon almost everyone from our village was on the street.

To be continue...