Village keeper


One summer I used to work in a small village as a bank taller.


Most of the time I used to give salaries to the local people.

I meet a young man who I think liked me, because he would go to the bank every day just to say “Hello” to me.


We started to talk a bit, a few times I brought him some books and later we talked about the books together. This man was very nice to me. He was very kind and always smiled when he was looking at me. I started to like him too.


Just before my contract with the bank was expired I asked this man to move to the city. I said that my father would help to find a job and a place to live. But the man refused. He sadly smiled: “I would like to move somewhere with a girl like you, but I cannot. My village is holding me here. I am a village keeper and no matter how far I go at the next day I am back here. “