with my friend

In 1990 life in the Soviet Union changed.
Almost everything was closed in our city,
Factories, all manufacturer,
Equipment sold, or moved.
Empty supermarkets, people had to wait
With a number in line written on their hand to buy food.
My aunts lost jobs,
My uncles turned into alcoholics in months,
And there was nothing to do about it.
They had no jobs, and this what they were doing
Until it was too late years later.
Like many men in our city, old and young.
Some women, few my school friends.
Entire country was changing.
My father knew hypnosis, he hypnotizes against drinking and smoking.
He hypnotized me against it.
I cannot drink, may be on New Eve, otherwise next day all I can have is pickle juice and sweet tea.
Then the government let doctors have private practice and work in the hospital.
The old life I used to know was gone.
New started, growing up in two different countries at the same time.