a story

Long time ago,
When I was a secretary in our city court.
A young woman stopped by near wall
with application forms for divorces.
She was beyond poor, dressed in old clothes not, our nationality,
From one of former Asian Soviet republics, long black hair, brown eyes.
She was looking at the forms, people, secretaries, judges were walking by.
No one stopped exempt me.
I asked: do you need help?
She was surprised, started to talk how she is sorry for bothering.
She was basically a slave,  working for what she can get, raising a child,
Her husband was in jail, she heard, but didn't know which one and how to file for child support and divorce.
She didn't know what to do, people she asked didn't care, told go to court.
In the court no one, except me, cared ether.
I asked the whole office what she should do, and the lady judge I was with.
They thought I was crazy for trying to help her.
One secretary said that woman must be dirty and has fleas.  I shouldn't go close to her.
Told me to tell her to pay fees, file papers and go to the police.
Didn't care at all.
I was telling that woman how to fill out the forms.
She had no money for the fee, I was pushing it to her.
She refused,  said would be back tomorrow,
Said thank you and left.
I never seen her after,
Hope she is okay and her child is big now.